History of the Engelhard Site in Plainville
BASF Catalysts LLC acquired the former manufacturing site in Plainville, MA through the acquisition of Engelhard Corporation, USA in June 2006. The site has a history of industrial use dating back to 1957. Operations included metal fabrication and finishing for use by the U.S. Mint and jewelry and electronics industries. Other operations involved fabricating uranium fuel elements under license from the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission.
In 1962—prior to the acquisition of the Engelhard site by BASF—all radiological operations were discontinued, most of the buildings at the facility were decommissioned and demolished, and much of the radiologic material was removed. Other industrial operations continued on the site until Engelhard closed the facility in 1993. A groundwater extraction and treatment system operated on site from 1998 until 2021, followed by in-situ treatment to address any groundwater contamination.